Frequently Asked Questions
What is Amuse?
Amuse is an MU* client, which is an application that runs on a computer, connecting via the Internet to a remote server for the purpose of accessing online text based worlds known as MU*s.
What does MU* mean?
MU* is a shorthand to refer collectively to multi-user environments which include such examples as MUD
(Multi-User Dungeon / Dimension / Domain), MUSH
(Multi-User Shared Habitat / Hallucination), MUCK
(Multi-User Chat Kingdom / Construction Kit) and others.
These are all different types of servers used to create text based online virtual worlds used either for the purposes of roleplay (RP
) and online collaborative story telling, gaming, or just simple online communication and collaboration between people of similar interests.
You can find out more from the links and articles at the MU*
article on Wikipedia.
What do I need to run Amuse on my computer?
Amuse is currently under development and as such uses some of the latest technologies on Windows for creating applications.
It is therefor recommend that you are running Microsoft Windows 7
, Windows Vista Service Pack 2
or Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
. To ensure you have the latest Service Pack installed, please run Windows Update
on your computer.
You may also be able to run Amuse on the latest versions of Windows Server 2003 and 2008, but this has not been tested.
Amuse will not
run on earlier versions of Windows, including 2000, ME or '98.
You will also need the latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework
, see the following question for details.Up to the Question List
What version of the .NET Framework do I need?
Amuse is currently being built for the .NET Framework Version 4
, this is the latest version of the framework and has now been released to the public. Early versions of Amuse on CodePlex were written earlier versions of the framework and those versions of Amuse should be uninstalled using the Windows Control Panel.
How do I install Amuse?
Follow these handy instructions:
- If you have helped before and still have a previous version of Amuse, please make sure you have uninstalled them using the Windows Control Panel in the normal way.
- Go to the Release Page for the current version.
- After reading the notes, click on the link marked Amuse Setup towards the top of the page, this will open a box asking if you accept the license. Please read the license and click I Agree to continue.
- You will then get a standard download window appear for your web browser, choose to Save the Setup program to your computer and when the download finishes, choose to Open or Run the download.
- If you are running on Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you may then be asked to provide your administrator password or be prompted for consent to run the Setup program. Please choose to Allow the Setup program to run or enter your password if required. Remember to check that the name of the program matches the name you gave the downloaded file. (If you left it as default, this will be AmuseSetup.exe.)
- Read the instructions in the Setup program's wizard and follow the steps to complete the installation.
- During the installation, if required, Amuse will automatically download and run the .NET Installer.
- To run Amuse under Windows 7 or Windows Vista:
- Click the Start button.
- Type Amuse in to the search box.
- When the results appear, select Amuse from the list.
Up to the Question List
- To run Amuse under Windows XP:
- Click the Start button.
- Point to All Programs.
- Find the Amuse entry and click it.
If this FAQ did not answer your question, please go to the Discussions tab of the project and post the question to us there.